The Lower Manning Valley surrounding Taree and the Wallis Lake area around Forster / Tuncurry are each a paradise for birdwatchers. Numerous National Parks, State Forests and Nature Reserves contain a variety of natural vegetation types including rainforest, woodland, coastal heath and tidal estuaries hosting many species of birds.
The Lower Mid North Coast is fringed by endless kilometres of white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and rugged cliffs providing many opportunities to view seabirds as well as dolphins and whales. Visitors will enjoy easy access to most areas by conventional vehicles, with 4 wheel drive(s) tracks available for the more adventurous. Many species of waterbirds, bushbirds and raptors, including nests, can be viewed along the pristine waterways of The Manning River or Wallis Lake. Regular cruises are available and small self-skippered boats can be hired. Accommodation is available to cater for all needs.
Download the Brochure from the tab at right or the separate Checklist from the link below.
The list includes the land and freshwater birds reliably recorded in the Manning Valley and Great Lakes area as well as the common seabirds to be seen from the coast. Some have been seen only once or a few times in recent years, or are known now only from a small area while others can be seen any day in appropriate habitat. Any unusual sightings or suggestions regarding this list or brochure may be forwarded to the address below and would be greatly appreciated.
Manning Great Lakes Birdwatchers Inc
- Postal Address: PO Box 281, Forster NSW 2428
- Phone: 0431 878 395
OUTINGS AND CAMPS FOR YEAR 2019
Note – All outings commence at 8:00am unless noted otherwise
- Saturday 19th January: Aerodrome road Minimbah Nature Reserve via Nabiac. Meet at the corner of Glen Ora and McKinnon Roads just South of Nabiac
- Thursday 7th February: Mudbishops/ Old Bar Airstrip/Saltwater Reserve /. Meet alongside the eastern end of the Airstrip opposite Van Park.
- Friday 15th to Sunday 17th February Inclusive: MACLEAY VALLEY WEEKEND CAMP
- Thursday 7th March: Lansdowne NR/ Lansdowne Oval/ Newby’s Lane. Meet at Lansdowne General Store
- Saturday 16th March: Bight Cemetery/Wingham Brush. Meet at Cemetery 145 Tinonee Rd, Wingham about 1.5 Klm south of the Tinonee Road Bridge over the Manning River
- Thursday 4th April: Seal Rocks Lighthouse & Fire-trail. Meet at carpark opposite caravan park entrance
- Saturday 20th April: Black Head Headland Track, Northern Trail, Red Head Rainforest Walk. Meet at the lookout carpark atop the hill behind the Black Head Surf Lifesaving Club
- Thursday 2nd May: Violet Hill/Wallingat NP. Meet at Bungwahl General Store
- Saturday 18th May: Firefly Area. Meet opposite duck pond just past corner of Wallanbah Rd and Mobbs Lane
- Thursday 6th June: Corrigan’s Road and Homestead Fire-trails. Meet Corner of Blackhead and Pacific View Road Hallidays Point
- Weekend (Friday to Tuesday) 14th to 18th June: Urunga weekend camp. Details TBA
- Thursday 4th July: Cellito Beach/Sand Bar. Meet at Corner of Lakes Way and Sandbar Road
- Saturday 20th July: ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING. Venue TBA
- Thursday 1st. August: Wootton/ Coolongolook. Wootton/ Coolongolook. Meet on Wootton Way just past Coolongolook river crossing. Birding at the meeting spot, at Wootton, along the road and at the bridge and along Squires, Newman’s or Watley Hill Roads. Toilets behind Caltex at Coolongolook
- Saturday 17th August: Lake Cathie/Lake Cathie Creek Walking Trail. Meet at corner Kenwood Drive and Tallong Drive. From south turn left just before bridge into Tallong Drive
- Thursday 6th September: Taree Bicentennial Gardens/Brown’s Creek. Meet at parking in front of Sailing Club in River Street. Lunch at Taree Recreational Park near Aquatic Centre (Toilets). Birding also behind Recreation centre along the river verge
- Saturday 21st. September: : Coopernook Swamp/Coopernook SF. Meet at Swamp just past intersection of Pacific Highway into Coopernook Road. Turn Rt.> George Gibson Lt> Macquarie Lt> West St which becomes Lansdowne Rd. Turn Rt off Lansdowne rd. Onto Forest road and proceed to campground (Toilets)
- Thursday 3rd October: Harrington (incl. Break wall, Foreshore, Littoral Rainforest and Sewerage Treatment area). Meet at the Marine Rescue Building Harrington
- Sunday 13th October to Saturday 19th : WEEK LONG CAMP Venue – Hawksbury area – to be confirmed.
- Thursday 7th November: Coorabakh NP, Starrs Creek, Big Nellie and Waitui Falls circuit. Meet at Moorland before Post Office on Hannam Vale Road, just off the highway.
- Saturday 16th November: Cattai Wetlands. Turn right into Spring Hill Road Coopernook from Pacific Highway approx 1.5km north of Harrington Turn Off. Meet at carpark past gate at end of road
- Saturday 7th December: XMAS DINNER. Venue TBA