The Lower Manning Valley surrounding Taree and the Wallis Lake area around Forster / Tuncurry are each a paradise for birdwatchers. Numerous National Parks, State Forests and Nature Reserves contain a variety of natural vegetation types including rainforest, woodland, coastal heath and tidal estuaries hosting many species of birds.
The Lower Mid North Coast is fringed by endless kilometres of white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and rugged cliffs providing many opportunities to view seabirds as well as dolphins and whales. Visitors will enjoy easy access to most areas by conventional vehicles, with 4 wheel drive(s) tracks available for the more adventurous. Many species of waterbirds, bushbirds and raptors, including nests, can be viewed along the pristine waterways of The Manning River or Wallis Lake. Regular cruises are available and small self-skippered boats can be hired. Accommodation is available to cater for all needs.
Download the Brochure from the tab at right or the separate Checklist from the link below.
The list includes the land and freshwater birds reliably recorded in the Manning Valley and Great Lakes area as well as the common seabirds to be seen from the coast. Some have been seen only once or a few times in recent years, or are known now only from a small area while others can be seen any day in appropriate habitat. Any unusual sightings or suggestions regarding this list or brochure may be forwarded to the address below and would be greatly appreciated.
Manning Great Lakes Birdwatchers Inc
- Postal Address: PO Box 281, Forster NSW 2428
- Phone: 0431 878 395
OUTINGS AND CAMPS FOR YEAR 2018
Note – All outings commence at 8:00am unless noted otherwise
- Thursday 6th September – SALTWATER RESERVE / OLD BAR AIRSTRIP/ MUDBISHOP’S – meet at the Saltwater Reserve last parking bays on left
- Saturday 15th September FIREFLY / GAY SARGENT’S PROPERTY – meet corner Wallanbah Road & Mobbs Lane. Take Nabiac exit from Pacific Highway into Wallanbah Road, travel 16km through Dyers Crossing then turn right into Mobbs Lane
- Thursday 4th October – OXLEY ISLAND (Ashley Furner’s Property)/ MANNING POINT – Meet at Oxley Island Public School and then short distance to property as group
- Sunday 14th October – 8 day camp at Armidale, NSW – Details TBA
- Thursday 1st November – LAKE CATHIE/LAKE CATHIE CREEK – – meet at corner of Kenwood Drive and Tallong Drive. Just before bridge coming from South turn left into Tallong Drive. To get to the walking trail, drive along Kenwood Drive and turn right Into Lakeside Way. After several hundred metres this road takes a sweeping left bend and the walking track starts at this bend. Parking is available on the grassy area opposite the track.
- Saturday 17th November – FALLS FOREST RETREAT, JOHNS RIVER (318 Isaacs Lane) – take the Johns River exit from Pacific Highway, meet at corner of Stewarts River Road
- Saturday 8th December – Xmas outing – Mondrook Gardens