The Lower Manning Valley surrounding Taree and the Wallis Lake area around Forster / Tuncurry are each a paradise for birdwatchers. Numerous National Parks, State Forests and Nature Reserves contain a variety of natural vegetation types including rainforest, woodland, coastal heath and tidal estuaries hosting many species of birds.
The Lower Mid North Coast is fringed by endless kilometres of white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and rugged cliffs providing many opportunities to view seabirds as well as dolphins and whales. Visitors will enjoy easy access to most areas by conventional vehicles, with 4 wheel drive(s) tracks available for the more adventurous. Many species of waterbirds, bushbirds and raptors, including nests, can be viewed along the pristine waterways of The Manning River or Wallis Lake. Regular cruises are available and small self-skippered boats can be hired. Accommodation is available to cater for all needs.
The list includes the land and freshwater birds reliably recorded in the Manning Valley and Great Lakes are as well as the common seabirds to be seen from the coast. Some have been seen only once or a few times in recent years, or are known now only from a small area while others can be seen any day in appropriate habitat. Any unusual sightings or suggestions regarding this brochure may be forwarded to the address below and would be greatly appreciated.
Manning Valley Birdwatchers Inc
PO Box 281
Forster NSW 2428
MANNING GREAT LAKES BIRDWATCHERS Inc
OUTINGS AND CAMPS FOR YEAR 2018
Note – All outings commence at 8:00am unless noted otherwise
- Thursday 2nd. August – KILLABAKH – meet at Judi Homewood’s property, 1378 Comboyne Road (From Wingham road turn right into Isabella Street, Wingham, left into Dennes Street then take 3rd exit at roundabout onto Farquhar, cross railway overbridge then turn right into Price Street, which turns into Queen Street and then becomes Comboyne Road)”
- Saturday 18th August – SANDY POINT / NEWBYS LANE / WARRENS LANE – meet at Lansdowne General Store, East Lansdowne Road
- Thursday 6th September – SALTWATER RESERVE / OLD BAR AIRSTRIP/ MUDBISHOP’S – meet at the Saltwater Reserve last parking bays on left
- Saturday 15th September FIREFLY / GAY SARGENT’S PROPERTY – meet corner Wallanbah Road & Mobbs Lane. Take Nabiac exit from Pacific Highway into Wallanbah Road, travel 16km through Dyers Crossing then turn right into Mobbs Lane
- Thursday 4th October – OXLEY ISLAND (Ashley Furner’s Property)/ MANNING POINT– Meet at Oxley Island Public School and then short distance to property as group
- October 14th 8 day camp at Armidale, NSW – details TBA
- Thursday 1st November – LAKE CATHIE/LAKE CATHIE CREEK – meet at parking station just past the bridge
- Saturday 17th November – FALLS FOREST RETREAT, JOHNS RIVER (318 Isaacs Lane) – take the Johns River exit from Pacific Highway, meet at corner of Stewarts River Road
- Saturday 8th December- Xmas outing – Details TBA
Join us in the fascinating world of bird watching. Download our membership form and join TODAY.
Download Membership Form
Download the MGLBW Bird Record sheet. A handy method to record your bird sightings.
Download Bird Record Sheet
Do you want to know when our next Bird Watching outing is? Download our Outings and Camps for 2018.
Download Outings and Camps for 2018