The Lower Manning Valley surrounding Taree and the Wallis Lake area around Forster / Tuncurry are each a paradise for birdwatchers. Numerous National Parks, State Forests and Nature Reserves contain a variety of natural vegetation types including rainforest, woodland, coastal heath and tidal estuaries hosting many species of birds.
The Lower Mid North Coast is fringed by endless kilometres of white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and rugged cliffs providing many opportunities to view seabirds as well as dolphins and whales. Visitors will enjoy easy access to most areas by conventional vehicles, with 4 wheel drive(s) tracks available for the more adventurous. Many species of waterbirds, bushbirds and raptors, including nests, can be viewed along the pristine waterways of The Manning River or Wallis Lake. Regular cruises are available and small self-skippered boats can be hired. Accommodation is available to cater for all needs.
Download the Brochure from the tab at right or the separate Checklist from the link below.The list includes the land and freshwater birds reliably recorded in the Manning Valley and Great Lakes area as well as the common seabirds to be seen from the coast. Some have been seen only once or a few times in recent years, or are known now only from a small area while others can be seen any day in appropriate habitat. Any unusual sightings or suggestions regarding this list or brochure may be forwarded to the address below and would be greatly appreciated.
Manning Great Lakes Birdwatchers Inc
- Postal Address: PO Box 281, Forster NSW 2428
- Phone: 0431 878 395
MANNING GREAT LAKES BIRDWATCHERS Inc.
REVISED OUTINGS AND CAMPS FOR YEAR 2020
Note – All outings commence at 8:00am or 7:30 am during Eastern Daylight Saving Times unless noted otherwise.
8 AM START
- Thursday 3rd September: Firefly Area/Tipperary Road. Meet opposite duck pond just past corner of Wallanbah Rd and
- Saturday 19th September: Mt. George Public School/ Lunch at Rocks Crossing. Meet at Mt George Hotel on Nowendoc
- Thursday 1st October: Mudbishops/ Old Bar Airstrip/Saltwater Reserve. Meet alongside the eastern end of the Airstrip
opposite Van Park.
Daylight saving starts 4 th October. Following outings commence at 7:30 AM
- Arrive Sunday 4th October leave Monday 12th : WEEK LONG CAMP Venue lake Cargelligo details will be sent out.
- Thursday 5th November: Minimbah Nature Reserve via Nabiac. Meet at the corner of Glen Ora and McKinnon Roads
just South of Nabiac.
- Saturday 21st November: Coopernook Swamp/Harrington Rain Forest Walk. Meet at Coopernook Swamp Cnr
Coopernook Rd/Pacific H’way.
- Saturday 12th December: XMAS Lunch. Venue TBA 12 PM.
* For Members only;-
Our club emblem can be embroidered on your own shirt/cap/other garment for only $10, from Daniel at 16 Hawai Avenue, Forster, – phone number 6555 7029. He also has a choice of shirts available.
Manning Great Lakes Birdwatchers Club badges are also available. They can be pin or magnet and are obtained by contacting Taree Engraving Services at 7 Avon Place, Forster – Phone number 6555 2227.