The Lower Manning Valley surrounding Taree and the Wallis Lake area around Forster / Tuncurry are each a paradise for birdwatchers. Numerous National Parks, State Forests and Nature Reserves contain a variety of natural vegetation types including rainforest, woodland, coastal heath and tidal estuaries hosting many species of birds.
The Lower Mid North Coast is fringed by endless kilometres of white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and rugged cliffs providing many opportunities to view seabirds as well as dolphins and whales. Visitors will enjoy easy access to most areas by conventional vehicles, with 4 wheel drive(s) tracks available for the more adventurous. Many species of waterbirds, bushbirds and raptors, including nests, can be viewed along the pristine waterways of The Manning River or Wallis Lake. Regular cruises are available and small self-skippered boats can be hired. Accommodation is available to cater for all needs.
Download the Brochure from the tab at right or the separate Checklist from the link below.
The list includes the land and freshwater birds reliably recorded in the Manning Valley and Great Lakes area as well as the common seabirds to be seen from the coast. Some have been seen only once or a few times in recent years, or are known now only from a small area while others can be seen any day in appropriate habitat. Any unusual sightings or suggestions regarding this list or brochure may be forwarded to the address below and would be greatly appreciated.
Manning Great Lakes Birdwatchers Inc
- Postal Address: PO Box 281, Forster NSW 2428
- Phone: 0431 878 395
- MANNING GREAT LAKES BIRDWATCHERS Inc OUTINGS AND CAMPS FOR YEAR 2020
- Note – All outings commence at 8:00am or 7:30 am during Eastern Daylight Saving Times unless noted otherwise
- Saturday 18th January: Harrington Foreshore/Lettuce Trail/Break wall, Littoral Rainforest, Cooks Trail/Grass tree Trail and Sewerage Treatment area. Meet at the Marine Rescue Building Harrington. First walk depends on weather
- Thursday 6th February: Booti Booti lakeside Track: Meet carpark opposite Ruins camping ground entrance. Morning Tea at Santa Barbara Picnic Area/Lunch at Greenpoint boat ramp
- Friday 14th to Sunday 16th February Inclusive: Long Weekend Port Stephens. Details TBA
- Thursday 5th March: Brimbin Nature Reserve. From Taree, turn Rt. into Cedar Party Rd 500m before Mayo Hospital. Turn Rt. into Old Port Macquarie road. Continue on to Brimbin NR. Meet in carpark at reserve
- Saturday 21st March: Port Macquarie Hastings River Eco River Cruise with Dolphin Spotting // Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:00 PM
- Thursday 2nd April: Pacific Palms Sports Fields/Red Gum Road. Meet Sports Fields Carpark Karnang Drive. Lunch Elizabeth Beach/ Elizabeth Beach Trail
- Saturday 18th April: Bight Road / Browns Close / Wingham Brush – meet at the Bight Cemetery off Tinonee Rd.
- Thursday 7th May: Bungwhal Creek/ Serene Close Bushwalk / Lunch at Darawank Memorial Park. Turn into Aquatic Road, Sth. of Failford Road, off Lakes Way and meet at Caravan Park
- Saturday 16th May: Mt. George Public School/ Lunch at Rocks Crossing. Meet at Mt George Hotel on Nowendoc road
- Thursday 4th June: Brushy Creek, Mimi St. Coolongolook. Meet back of Caltex in Midge St. left straight after Caltex Lunch on Locketts Crossing Road. Turn left off H’way 1 Klm Sth of Caltex into Locketts Crossing Road
- Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st June: Weekend camp at Dunbogan. Details TBA
- Thursday 2nd July: Point road/morning tea Tuncurry Breakwall Precinct/ lunch Chapmans Park Tuncurry. Meet car park just past Tuncurry boat ramp
- Saturday 18th July: ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING. Venue TBA
- Thursday 6th August: Baywood Drive Ponds and beach walk Blackhead/Diamond Beach. Turn Left at roundabout > Baywood Drive and first left. Meet at ponds. Lunch at Blackhead Beach Park
- Saturday 15th August: Towibakh NR Manning Point/lunch at Manning point Vic Shoesmith Reserve. Turn left into Carramarr Drive off Manning Point Road 500m past Mitchell Island Public School. Meet and park at crossroads. Walk starts 20 meters on left side of parking area through green gate
- Thursday 3rd September: Firefly Area/Tipperary Road. Meet opposite duck pond just past corner of Wallanbah Rd and Mobbs Lane.
- Saturday 19th September: Cattai Wetlands. Turn Right 2 Klms past Harrington T/O into Springhill Rd. Meet in carpark
- Thursday 1st October: Mudbishops/ Old Bar Airstrip/Saltwater Reserve. Meet alongside the eastern end of the Airstrip opposite Van Park
- Sunday 18th October to Sunday 25th: WEEK LONG CAMP Venue TBA
- Thursday 5th November: Minimbah Nature Reserve via Nabiac. Meet at the corner of Glen Ora and McKinnon Roads just South of Nabiac
- Saturday 21st November: Booti Booti Firetrail/ Greenpoint. Meet in Lay-by 1.5 Klms south of Greenpoint Road
- Saturday 12th December: XMAS DINNER. Venue TBA